Find me on Instagram @ ilovedawn00

Sunday, September 08, 2013

[Hotel Review] Pan Pacific Hotel Singapore

For over 27 years, the Pan Pacific Singapore has managed to achieve a somewhat rare feat for a hotel in this ever-changing country – it’s kept itself constantly relevant and popular. One would be hard-pressed to find another hotel in the city state that has been around for this long and continues to receive award after award and be equally popular among guests. Thanks to an $80 million renovation in 2012, the hotel has managed to stay fresh and most importantly, interesting throughout all these years.

 the atrium of pan pacific singapore


I had the pleasure of checking out the Pan Pacific Singapore over one weekend. Arriving at the hotel during midday, I half-expected to witness a snaking queue for check-in. But there was none. More importantly, I didn’t even have to check in, at least not in the traditional sense! Guests are actually able to sit by the lobby bar with drink in hand, while a staff member does the actual formalities on an iPad. Pacific Club members go a step further, with a dedicated counter inside a room for check-in. For my case, check-in took place on my room itself. A Pacific Club staff member talked me through the notable features in my room after obtaining my signature.

what a room!
My jaw dropped as I entered the room. I wasn’t even staying in a suite. Nonetheless, my Pacific Harbour Studio was already of the same size as a 2-bedroom condominium unit! At 65 square meters, the room was not just big in size but also in terms of offerings. These are just some of the things that blew me away:
  • Not one, but two 32″ flat-screen TVs
  • A balcony – seriously, where else can you find a balcony in a hotel room these days?!
  • The balcony came with a panoramic view of the skyline around Marina Bay
  • Mini-bar with complimentary non-alcoholic drinks and snacks
  • A large, square bathtub
  • A spacious living and work area
generous work area

Overall, the room had a sharp and contemporary look that undoubtedly stemmed from the 2012 renovation. During the whole time I couldn’t help but secretly wish that I was living here!

goodies for pacific club members
The room was choc-filled with amenities. The fruit basket, cookie jar and complimentary chocolates from the hotel’s own grocery assured me that my midnight snack plans were well taken cared of. The in-room Nespresso machine and complimentary non-alcoholic drinks in the minibar was another plus. I was certainly one happy camper by this point.

toiletries from elemis
Like any respectable luxury hotel, the shower was partitioned – generously if I may add, and it was the same case for the toilet. Toiletries and other amenities were provided copiously, including items I don’t normally see elsewhere – comb, dental kit, shower cap, and even the iconic Tiger Balm. Given the completeness, I’m pretty sure that if I had forgotten to bring and asked housekeeping for a shirt, they would be been able to provide me with some as well!

Pacific Club at Pan Pacific Singapore


 the pacific club

The Pacific Club offers afternoon tea from 3 to 5PM daily and evening cocktails between 6 to 8PM. I dropped by at around 7PM, just in time to catch blue hour and the lighting of the surrounding buildings. Looking back, it was truly sublime sitting there just looking at the view, with a drink in hand. The ambiance factor at this point was simply off the charts.


 highlights of the evening cocktails at pacific club

A range of canapes and small cakes were made available during evening cocktails – the selection changes day to day. The staff here were extremely attentive and went out of their way for guests. I had asked about a drink that was not in the drinks menu and the bartender offered to make it, to my surprise.


I went back to my room afterwards to catch the 8PM lights show at Marina Bay Sands. This was the view that I got from the room’s balcony.

 the view from my room

There was also a note offering guests the convenience of expedited check-out. This involved the filling out and signing of a short form, and voila, no need to queue anymore during check-out. It’s a good thing to avail of especially for those in a hurry to leave. Though it would be a shame to leave such a nice hotel in a hurry.


Breakfast at Edge

Pacific Club members have the option of champagne breakfast in the club lounge or at the all-day dining restaurant, Edge. For the variety, I chose to have my first meal of the day at the latter. Edge boasts of several stations, ranging from Japanese, Chinese, Indian and Western. There is also a local Singaporean section featuring old favorites such as nasi lemak and char kway teow. I was certainly spoiled for choice here in terms of variety but my personal pick would have to be the western section, with its fantastic selection of both chicken and pork sausages, crunchy bacon just the way I like them and crispy hash browns.

Verdict

Wow – just wow! The rooms here are topnotch, and the fixtures are certainly enough to impress. As an added tip, it’s worthwhile to book for higher category rooms such as Harbour Studios as these normally cost only $100 extra but are nearly double the size of the standard rooms and come with club access as well. The club lounge here is another highlight, with an unheard of round-the-clock service and sweeping views of the city.
The great thing about Pan Pacific Singapore is that the hotel has no less than 8 room categories. I was able to check out some of the others and I can say that each category is quite distinct from the other. There are rooms that are more reminiscent of Scandinavian design while others exemplify a more neo-Asian look. Frequent guests will not be bored trying out the different rooms here. I certainly wouldn’t mind visiting again to have a taste of the others.
Pan Pacific Singapore
7 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square, Singapore 039595




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...