***ALL SOUP HERE ARE COOKED FOR MINIMUM 5 HOURS USING MY CORNELL 1.5L SLOW COOKER.
WATERCRESS PORK RIBS SOUP
Watercress is rich in fiber, anti-oxidants, vitamin C, beta-carotene, folate, potassium, calcium, phosphorous and iron, and is a good source of iodine as well.
This vegetable is packed full of nutrients and has tremendous health benefits. It has Anti-inflammatory properties, Anti-oxidant and anti-cancer effects, Aphrodisiac effect, promotes strong and healthy bones, treats cough, aids the digestive system, good for nails, hair, eyes, teeth and skin, great for hangover and has a purifying effect.
Hence, this has become one of my favourite soup to cook! There are some variations to this and here's my version today:
1 bunch of watercress
200g pork ribs (blanched)
4 red dates
2 honey dates
1. Blanch pork ribs in boiling water for a few minutes
2. Wash and rinse watercress till clean
3. Throw all ingredients into slow cooker, fill with water and cook. (I usually cook my soup on HIGH for the first 3 hours and change to LOW for the next few hours. If soup is not tasty enough, cook longer if you have the time)
4. Season with salt if needed.
5. Enjoy the bowl of hot soup :)
SALTED DUCK VEGGIE SOUP
Had a whole leftover carcass of a roasted duck and decided not to waste the bones, thus decided on this soup.
This is a classic Peranakan delicacy known as Itek Tim or Kiam Chye Ar (Teochew), growing up in a Peranakan/Hokkien family, this is a soup we commonly have on the dining table and it is always bursting with flavours and goes very well with a bowl of steaming hot rice.
Half carcass of roasted duck (bones)
Salted mustard greens
2 tomatoes (sliced into chunks)
2 salted plums
2 slices of ginger (thumb size)
1. Soak mustard greens in water for at least 30 minutes to remove the excess salt.
2. Throw all ingredients into slow cooker, fill with water and cook. (I usually cook my soup on HIGH for the first 3 hours and change to LOW for the next few hours. If soup is not tasty enough, cook longer if you have the time, it usually tastes better the longer you cook it)
4. Enjoy the bowl of hot soup :)
RED BEAN SOUP (AZUKI)
Beans are a healthy source of protein, famous for their fiber content, and has the highest antioxidant rating of all food. It is also a remedy for common illnesses. This dessert soup is incredibly easy to make.
INGREDIENTS: 200g red beans
Half piece of dried orange peel
2 cubes of rock sugar (or more if desired)
1. Wash and soak red beans in water for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Throw red beans into slow cooker and cook for about 4-6 hours,
3. When reached desired consistency (I like mine thicker, if you want it more watery, add some water), add in orange peel and rock sugar at the last half hour of cooking.
4. Can serve it hot or transfer to fridge for few hours to chill it first and have it cold. (It's sweeter when it's cold)